Welcome to the Autumn Term in Year 3!
In Maths, we will be consolidating our learning about place value and operations from Year 2, with daily arithmetic questions. At the start of the term we will expand our Maths knowledge by moving from the ones and tens into the hundreds. Then, we will apply this knowledge when learning how to add and subtract. After half term, we will revise our knowledge of times tables and start to multiply and divide. All children will be expected to revise their times tables at home on a daily basis.
Our class book for this term is ‘Stig of the Dump’ by Clive King. In English, we will be using our class book as inspiration for writing an adventure story. We will also be discussing and writing our own instruction texts on how to care for prehistoric creatures. Furthermore, we will be exploring shape/calligram poems and the use of figurative devices within them. Within all our writing, we will be working on a range of grammatical features including the use of fronted adverbials, expanded noun phrases and continuing to use a range of conjunctions to expand our sentences. Reading, spelling and handwriting will be practiced weekly.
In History, we will be studying the Stone Age to the Iron Age. We will be researching key events and exploring what happened during this time. Furthermore, in Geography we will be learning about settlements and considering how land is used.
In Science, we will be investigating forces and plants. We will use our scientific skills to conduct experiments and discuss our findings.
In DT, we will be researching, designing and making our own Stone Age tool.
Mrs Locke will be teaching French, Music, ICT and RE in PPA over the whole of the Autumn term.
- P.E. will be on Wednesday (Indoors) and Monday (Outdoors)
- The children’s spelling test will be on Fridays. The children will be given their new spellings on a Monday.
- Homework will be given out on a Monday and will be due in on the following Friday.
- Guided reading books will be checked every Friday. The children are expected to read for a minimum of 10 minutes a day. This will need to be recorded in their books and signed by an adult.
- Please come in to see me if you want to discuss anything.