Sex and Relationships Education
Relationships and Sex education
Our curriculum focuses on lifelong learning about physical, moral and emotional development. Teaching and learning is essential so that children make effective and well informed decisions in life.
Children learn about the importance of a stable and loving relationships, respect, love and care. We teach children about how and why their bodies change and include how a baby is made through sex.
Key stage 1
To notice that animals, including humans, have offspring which grow into adults
Key stage 2
To describe the life process of reproduction in some plants and animals
To describe the changes as humans develop to old age.
We aim for children to
- to manage emotions and relationships confidently and sensitively;
- develop self-respect and empathy for others;
- developing an appreciation of the consequences of choices made;
- manage conflict; and
- learning how to recognise and avoid exploitation and abuse.
- learn and understand physical development at appropriate stages;
- understanding human sexuality, reproduction, sexual health, emotions and relationships;
- learn about contraception and the range of local and national sexual health advice, contraception and support services;
- learning the reasons for delaying sexual activity, and the benefits to be gained from such delay; and
- the avoidance of unplanned pregnancy